Bronx teen arrested for murder and sex abuse of 7-year-old half-sister

A Bronx teen was charged Wednesday with murdering and sexually abusing his 7-year-old half-sister, with their mother also charged in the horrific 2021 death, police said Wednesday.

Paul Fine, 18, and his 36-year-old mother Navasia Jones, 36, were arrested Wednesday for murder, manslaughter and acting in a manner injurious to a child for the Aug. 10 death of little Julissia Batties, cops said. Fine is also charged with sexually abusing the child.

“I‘m just happy justice is being served for my granddaughter,” Julissia’s grandmother Yolanda Davis told the Daily News as she rushed to Bronx Criminal Court to see the suspects arraigned. ”She didn’t deserve nothing of what she had gotten.”

Julissia died at the hospital from extensive trauma to her face and body that she suffered inside the family’s apartment, although both Jones and Fine gave conflicting accounts of what happened.

”I’m just mixed up because I’m hurt my granddaughter is not here,” Davis said Wednesday. “I would just rather my granddaughter be here right now.”

When police responded to the morning 911 call at the family’s Mott Haven apartment in the Mitchel Houses, medics were already fighting to revive Julissia, who fell unconscious.

Jones told a nurse she woke up around 5 a.m. Tuesday to find Julissia in the bathroom, vomiting and urinating on herself, sources said at the time. The child then passed out and hit her head, according to the mother’s account, before she and Fine carried her into the bedroom. But Julissia again passed out and banged her head a second time, the mother told the nurse, according to sources.

Fine provided a different account. He claimed Julissia spent the night getting snacks from the kitchen before he discovered the little girl throwing up in her bedroom, sources said.

He first admitted slugging her twice in the face and later told police he punched Julissia eight times while admitting scratches found on her body were from his long nails, according to the sources.

At some point, Jones and the half-brother carried Julissia into the living room and put her on a couch where she fell asleep before the mom left with her 2-year-old son to the store and the bank, the sibling told police.

The Daily News Flash

The Daily News Flash


Catch up on the day’s top five stories every weekday afternoon.

Only when she returned did they notice the little girl was choking and her hands were turning white, sources said the brother told authorities.

The two didn’t call 911 until 8:12 a.m., more than three hours after the girl supposedly first went into distress.

Relatives said that Jones had abused Julissia for years and even lost custody of her daughter in 2014.

Julissia eventually lived with her grandmother Davis until April 2020, at which point ACS apparently determined Jones was fit to raise the girl.

After Julissa’s death, Davis laid the blame for Julissia’s death on city agencies that failed to protect the child.

“They didn’t do their job, and that’s it,” Davis told the Daily News last summer. “(Julissia) was my girl. Everybody knows it, and I don’t know if the mother was jealous of the love between us … I did all I could to save my granddaughter.

“I went through torture to save my granddaughter, and she’s still in her grave. She was a beautiful kid, she was a quiet, humble kid.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.